[Radiance-general] Using OBJ2MESH utility

Digital Architectural Illustration Services [email protected]
Wed, 14 May 2003 02:31:04 +0100

Dear Greg

Thank you for your assistance with my request concerning smoothing using the
OBJ2MESH utility.

After applying your recommended materials, I successfully rendered a mesh
with both UV mapping and smoothing using the OBJ2MESH utility, with good
results.  I considered this issue of importance since there is currently
little discussion on the Internet about using this utility, and also because
phong rendering curvilinear surfaces with textures applied can greatly
enhance the realism and quality of RADIANCE renders, especially in my field
of architectural illustration.

I have just updated my web page again with a final comparison between the
smoothed / texture mapped results of OBJ2MESH against the results of ConRAD
software, which is very similar. The results may be worth looking at, since
the tests seem to have revealed minor distortions in the UV mapping
co-ordinates exported by OBJ2MESH.  A more detailed discussion of these
issues can be found at:

www.daiservices.btinternet.co.uk/Radiance/Radiance_v3_5_UNIX/Phong_shading_a
nd_bitmap_textures/Phong_shading_and_bitmap_textures.htm

I will leave this web page active for the benefit of any RADIANCE users
wanting to learn from the tests I conducted.

Kind regards

John MacKenzie Graham