[Radiance-general] Infrared outdoor scene simulation

Peter Apian-Bennewitz [email protected]
Tue, 13 May 2003 19:33:16 +0200

my two toughts:

Andrew Bettison wrote:

>       ( PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN THE CLEAR
>         AS I DO NOT WANT SPAMMERS TO HARVEST IT FROM THE
>         MAILING-LIST ARCHIVE WEB PAGES.  Thank you. )

you may want to switch on 'conceal email adress from subscriber list'
option in the webinterface.

> I will need to make some modifications to RADIANCE for this project:
>
> * The first modification is a way to specify very irregular
> subdivision of
> the image plane so that the level of detail of and around objects of
> interest can be wound up, while "uninteresting" parts of the scene can be
> rendered in much lower detail to speed computation.  Essentially, this
> would
> provide a kind of selective oversampling.

Either use rtrace as render engine and plug a point/direction generator
before and an value-to-image assembler behind that, or start from rpict.

> * The second modification is a different atmospheric propagation model
> that
> can accurately compute infrared as well as visible spectral path
> emissions
> and attenuations between any two points under specified environmental
> conditions.  The model itself is very extensive, highly validated, and of
> military pedigree.  The modification to RADIANCE would take the form
> of an
> atmospheric model "plug-in" scheme for rpict(1) and a gensky(1)-like
> program
> that would use the plug-in to compute a sky radiance map and solar/lunar
> position+radiance.

Gendaylit (Perez sky model) is the only other sky model (gensky
substitute) I'm aware of.
Simulating IR viewing through the atmosphere would require
fixes/changes/add-ons to the mist material.

> - Does anyone have any comments that might assist me to plan this
> work, or
>  make the outcome more useful for the RADIANCE community?  I would
> like to
>  know about any issues such as outstanding performance/accuracy concerns
>  with the existing ray propagation model, or limitations to be aware
> of in
>  the rendering of large-scale, outdoor scenes, or any wish-list features
>  that may dovetail into this work.

Since Radiance uses a bounding box for the scene, a very large scene
probably requires adjusting some default rpict parameters (e.g. -ar).
Otherwise, most internal variables are 'double'.

-Peter

--
 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, www.pab-opto.de