[Radiance-general] Using OBJ2MESH utility

Digital Architectural Illustration Services [email protected]
Fri, 9 May 2003 14:38:53 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_007A_01C31638.B6EEF880

Dear RADIANCE users

I have recently been experimenting with the new MESH primitive =
introduced in RADIANCE 3.5.  Furthermore, after the latest =
diff_HEAD_rad3R5.patch patch file has modified R3.5, the OBJ2MESH =
utility appears to compile a RTM (RADIANCE triangle mesh) without any =
bugs apparent.

The smooth phong shading possible with the MESH primitive renders =
correctly, but I am unclear how to apply a bitmap as a texture map using =
the compiled UV mapping co-ordinates.

The OBJ2MESH help file explains how the utility reads a Wavefront .OBJ =
file, but it does not suggest that the utility reads and compiles the =
corresponding Wavefront material file .MTL.  The help file implies that =
the .MTL file should contain a RADIANCE material description.

My question is how is it possible to interpret the Wavefront .MTL file =
(i.e., in Wavefront format) into a RADIANCE material definition, =
specifically regarding referencing the bitmap(s) that will be applied to =
the RADIANCE triangle mesh file?

John Graham, DAI Services

------=_NextPart_000_007A_01C31638.B6EEF880

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Dear RADIANCE users</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have recently been experimenting with the new MESH primitive =
introduced=20
in RADIANCE 3.5.&nbsp; Furthermore, after the latest =
diff_HEAD_rad3R5.patch=20
patch file has modified R3.5, the OBJ2MESH utility appears to compile a =
RTM=20
(RADIANCE triangle mesh) without any bugs apparent.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The smooth phong shading possible with the MESH primitive renders=20
correctly, but I am unclear how to apply a bitmap as a texture map using =
the=20
compiled UV mapping co-ordinates.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The OBJ2MESH help file explains how the utility reads a Wavefront =
.OBJ=20
file, but it does not suggest that the utility reads and =
compiles&nbsp;the=20
corresponding Wavefront material file .MTL.&nbsp; The help file implies =
that the=20
.MTL file should contain a RADIANCE material description.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My question is how is it possible to interpret the Wavefront .MTL =
file=20
(i.e., in Wavefront format) into a RADIANCE material definition, =
specifically=20
regarding referencing the bitmap(s) that will be applied to the RADIANCE =

triangle mesh file?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>John Graham, DAI Services</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>