[Radiance-general] Trans Oddities Part Deux

Rob Guglielmetti [email protected]
Tue, 13 May 2003 12:22:50 -0400

Well, I tried Greg's suggestion of setting the limit weight to a very
low number, but all that did is manage to scrounge up a few additional
lux.  This actually made things look worse, because my problems are with
the really dense shades (which are already coming up with higher numbers
than I'd expect).

I have a spreadsheet here with the results of all my tests so far.  If
anyone's interested in looking at it I'd be happy to share it.  Perhaps
there's a problem with my interpretation of this data.  I dunno. But the
tests indicate that whenever I try a 1% shade in any combination, I get
very odd results from rtrace.  And the whole reason I'm doing this test
is because we were getting similar odd results on our real model; I was
trying to simplify things so I could perhaps isolate something that was
causing these oddities.  So far, no joy.  I shared my trans material
definitions for all these tests earlier, but if anyone wants them to
have a look I can send those as well.

My fear is that I'm simply trying to find too small a percentage of the
available light, and relative comparisons between different shade
materials will not be valid for this model. (?)  I mean, this test model
still has two pieces of diffuse glass in it, and the skylight is prety
small, so already the building form/glazing is removing a ton of light
from the space.  Then when I start throwing shades in the skylight
cavity, we're getting down to really tiny fractions of the exterior
light.  I dunno, I'd love to hear any thoughts.

----

      Rob Guglielmetti

e. [email protected]
w. www.rumblestrip.org