[Radiance-general] Assistance required with Rendering error / random numbers

Carsten Bauer [email protected]
Mon, 5 May 2003 11:55:00 +0000

On Monday 05 May 2003 07:45, Peter Apian-Bennewitz wrote:
> -DMC avoids the pattern but the increase in necessary picture size
> before downsampling is substantial (easily a factor of 4). Otherwise the
> random clusters show up in the final image.
> A somewhat dis-satisfying situation at present.

Hmmm,...

Hi Peter,

if you and Greg ascertain that there are calculational advantages (mainly
speed) in using distributed random numbers will believe it., although I
haven't noticed a considerable slowing down so far. And I cannot confirm at
all the mentioned strong effect on necessary picture size before downsampling
If the relevant parameters are set correctly, I've made very good experiences
with the -DMC version. For printing, one can even get along with
downfiltering by a factor less than two, provided the image itself is big
enough in absolute pixels. But adequate parameter setting is of course vital.

However, penumbra generation is something which affords a bit thinking in
terms of simulation, how to achieve the effect, not just putting 1:1 RealLife
to SimLife corresponding geometry into the machine and press return (apology
to Roland for using his terms without license :-) )

Additionally, when considering PCs becoming faster and faster, I wonder if
there's a reasonable way to overcome the MonteCarlo mess completey and
establish a completey different, 'deterministic'  treatment of the problem
???

-Carsten