[Radiance-general] Assistance required with Rendering error / random numbers

Peter Apian-Bennewitz [email protected]
Mon, 05 May 2003 09:45:41 +0200

Carsten Bauer wrote:

>Hi DAI-crew,
>
>the artifacts stem most likely from a special random generator  used for all
>kinds of ray jittering applied in the process of penumbra generation. I don't
>really know why this is done, because pictures often look rather strange with
>these patterns.

Basically the idea the is to generate equally distributed random numbers.
A "few" (hundred or thousand) true random numbers (generated with -DMC)
are a bit "clustered", so, to cover the interval in question ( typically
[0..1] ) more evenly even with a few  points, an "afterburner" routine
tries to equalize the distribution of these numbers. The price for this
is the stupid pattern. Augustinus Topor at FhG-ISE looked into this last
year too but we found no better idea yet.
-DMC avoids the pattern but the increase in necessary picture size
before downsampling is substantial (easily a factor of 4). Otherwise the
random clusters show up in the final image.
A somewhat dis-satisfying situation at present.

-Peter

--
 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, www.pab-opto.de