[Radiance-general] aiming illums, orthographic projection, and hiding surfaces

Georg Mischler [email protected]
Thu, 1 May 2003 15:51:21 -0400 (EDT)

Rob Guglielmetti wrote:

> John An wrote:
> > Thanks Rob and Randolph for your help.
> >
> > First off, de-triangulating the illums did the trick; no more aiming
> > problems.
>
> Actually, this brings up a question I have for the list.  What to do if
> you have a warped plane that is a skylight?  I mean, I can draw it as a
> warped parallelogram, but Radout is gonna split it into two long thin
> triangles, and I'll get the aiming failure.  Do you use LOTS of
> triangles to approximate the warp, or is there some other way?

Do your windowing contractor a favour, and avoid constructs like
that to begin with? ;)

Note that the illum doesn't have to be the same object as the
window pane. In such a case, you probably want to add an extra
polygon below the window, eg. around the lower outline of the
frame of the skylight. This surface then gets treated by mkillum
instead of the actual window.

If the resulting shape is still very long and thin, then consider
dividing it into two or more sections that are closer to a
square. Otherwise, the source subdivision may result in a very
suboptimal set of virtual light sources (their location is
determined on a regular grid within the bounding rectangle of the
polygon).

-schorsch

--
Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/