[Radiance-general] Re: rendering parameters

Greg Ward [email protected]
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 08:39:10 -0800

> From: Roland Schregle <[email protected]>
>
> Greg Ward wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ada,
>>
>> I should have been more specific -- setting -ab 0 -av 0 0 0 eliminates
>> _diffuse_ interreflections in the calculation -- specular reflections
>> will still be present.  The only way to get rid of specular
>> reflections
>> (reliably) is to eliminate specular components from your materials.
>> In
>> the case of a glass surface, you would have to substitute trans with a
>> zero reflected component.
>
> Doesn't -lr 0 truncate *all* interreflection, specular and diffuse?
>
> --Roland

Well...  It's never simple with Radiance, is it?  You would think that
-lr truncates reflections, and usually it does, but you'll still get
the direct component in there, which includes the specular highlight if
the roughness value is non-zero.

-Greg