[Radiance-general] Re: Horizontal artifacts in large image

Mark Stock [email protected]
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:38:29 -0400 (EDT)

The process ran straight through, with no pauses or restarts.

Another process (another third of the final image), which did
require a few restarts, is here:

http://mark.technolope.org/image/p21c_fish_take_3/redo_smooth_6/timg10_2_tw.jpg

This one contains the same horizontal bands, one at ~35% of the way
down, but a pair at about 85%.

But there's also a weird slightly-darker band 20% of the way down,
and on the center vertical tube.

I'm also noticing thin dark lines on some of the tubes. I marked
them in the following image:

http://mark.technolope.org/image/p21c_fish_take_3/redo_smooth_6/timg10_2_twm.jpg

Sorry about the long URLs. I'd move it to a more root-ward directory,
but stuff has been rendering constantly for 2+ weeks.

----
Georg writes:
You appear to have plenty of disk space, so I'd recommend to
use an ambient file. You may want to play with the ambient
resolution as well if you do this, to keep the size of that
file under control.
----

That's the way I would have done it in the first place, but
once the scene and the ambient file got up to 1.3 GB in RAM
(where I have only 1 GB), it started to thrash, and I'd only
made it to the 4k x 2k version by then. Plus, there were
still splotches from the not-completely-resolved ambient
distribution. Ultimately, with -aa 0, I get a smoother final
rendering, at the cost of a more speckled pre-filtered
rendering.

I'm trying a lower-resolution run right now. Thanks for
the input.

Mark