[Radiance-general] Radiance animation questions

Zack Rogers [email protected]
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:08:53 -0700

--------------030304080303080607090905

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the input!  I had seen that webpage before, I guess I was
hoping I didn't have to export to obj or 3ds from my CAD file, although
that really shouldn't be too difficult.

So, I took one of my objects I wanted to smooth and exported it as a 3ds
file.  I use AutoCAD 2000 and could not see any way to export as an obj
file.  Anyways, my 3ds seemed to generate fine.  And so I ran:

3ds2mgf entry_roof.3ds entry_roof.mgf -s40 -om

and got:

3ds2mgf: unexpected EOF

seems like an end-of-file error has to do with a linux vs windows
problem, but on the webpage John mentioned he also used the DR version
of 3ds2mgf.  Any ideas whats causing this error?

I would like to the try the obj2mesh approach as well but am not sure
how to get an obj file from my autoCAD 3d model.

Now stepping back just so I understand, I'm guessing you need to use
obj2mesh or the 3ds2mgf because these will generate the A2 thru A10
parameters required by tmesh.cal.  On that website it gives this example
of .rad data created by 3ds2mgf.

WOOD texfunc T-nor
4 dx dy dz tmesh.cal
0
10 0
-0.00163623 0.00042471 1.21556195
0.00738964 -0.00120012 -0.94298270
0.00000000 0.00000000 -0.00000000

where A2 thru A10 is the surface normal perturbation matrix - I have no
clue what this is or how to generate it.  Because couldn't I also just
apply this modifier to the polygons I want to smooth if I could create
the necessary tmesh.cal matrix.  Do the polygons have to be triangles or
could I just apply this as a modifier to my .rad file created with
radout (assuming I have a correct matrix).

....an hour later.....Well, I just saw Peter and Greg's responses.  I'm
guessing that I can not just apply it to my polygons in my radout rad
file cause there are no normals...but can't the normal be determined
fairly easily as the cross product of this sides of the polygon?  Do you
really need to define each surface normal when the surface vertices are
defined?  Is it just a more expensive calculation?

I hope my confusion makes sense.
Regards,
Zack

--
Zack Rogers
Staff Engineer

tel (303)444-4149 ext.235
fax (303)444-4304
www.archenergy.com

--------------030304080303080607090905

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hi Rob,<br>
Thanks for the input! &nbsp;I had seen that webpage before, I guess I was hoping
I didn't have to export to obj or 3ds from my CAD file, although that really
shouldn't be too difficult.<br>
So, I took one of my objects I wanted to smooth and exported it as a 3ds
file. &nbsp;I use AutoCAD 2000 and could not see any way to export as an obj file.
&nbsp;Anyways, my 3ds seemed to generate fine. &nbsp;And so I ran:<br>
3ds2mgf entry_roof.3ds entry_roof.mgf -s40 -om<br>
and got:<br>
3ds2mgf: unexpected EOF<br>
seems like an end-of-file error has to do with a linux vs windows problem,
but on the webpage John mentioned he also used the DR version of 3ds2mgf.
&nbsp;Any ideas whats causing this error?<br>
I would like to the try the obj2mesh approach as well but am not sure how
to get an obj file from my autoCAD 3d model.<br>
Now stepping back just so I understand, I'm guessing you need to use obj2mesh
or the 3ds2mgf because these will generate the A2 thru A10 parameters required
by tmesh.cal. &nbsp;On that website it gives this example of .rad data created
by 3ds2mgf.<br>
     4 dx dy dz tmesh.cal<br>
     0<br>
     10 0<br>
     -0.00163623 0.00042471 1.21556195<br>
     0.00738964 -0.00120012 -0.94298270<br>
     0.00000000 0.00000000 -0.00000000</font><br>
where A2 thru A10 is the surface normal perturbation matrix - I have no clue
what this is or how to generate it. &nbsp;Because couldn't I also just apply this
modifier to the polygons I want to smooth if I could create the necessary
tmesh.cal matrix. &nbsp;Do the polygons have to be triangles or could I just apply
this as a modifier to my .rad file created with radout (assuming I have a
correct matrix).<br>
....an hour later.....Well, I just saw Peter and Greg's responses. &nbsp;I'm guessing
that I can not just apply it to my polygons in my radout rad file cause there
are no normals...but can't the normal be determined fairly easily as the
cross product of this sides of the polygon? &nbsp;Do you really need to define
each surface normal when the surface vertices are defined? &nbsp;Is it just a
more expensive calculation?<br>
I hope my confusion makes sense.<br>
Regards,<br>
Zack<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.archenergy.com">www.archenergy.com</a></pre>

--------------030304080303080607090905--