[Radiance-general] Radiance animation questions

Fitzsimmons, Rob [email protected]
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:23:40 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3C43C.673CB720

I'm going to take a stab at one question - I've been using obj2mesh

7.) As can be seen, I have many curved surfaces in this model most of
which have been faceted.  I would like to use a function to smooth the
shading on these.  Is there any way to do this given the geometry is
already built?  Something like the Phong shading -s option in gensurf or

maybe with the new mesh primitive???  I apologize for my ignorance on
this topic, I rarely require this much detail.  I'm imagining a modifier

or something I could give to the polygons I want to smooth over.

You can use obj2mesh to get  smooth shading
Isolate the curved surfaces and export them as .obj  run obj2mesh, put the
.rtm into a .rad
here's a big honkin long URL that explains efforts to get phong shading with
textures
http://www.daiservices.btinternet.co.uk/Radiance/Radiance_v3_5_UNIX/Phong_sh
ading_and_bitmap_textures/Phong_shading_and_bitmap_textures.htm
Near the bottom is an obj2mesh example... posted by John Graham  of  Digital
Architectural Illustration Services

The new OBJ2MESH utility is another way of importing a mesh object into
RADIANCE and rendering with both phong smoothing and UV mapping
co-ordinates. Ensure that RADIANCE 3.6A (patched V3.5) or greater is used.

obj2mesh -a Cyl01.mtl -n 15 Cyl01.obj Cyl01.rtm

Once the .RTM and corresponding .RAD files have been created, a material can
be specified to utilise both the UV mapping co-ordinates and smoothing data.
Below is a possible example of an appropriate material definition (note the
dot between the bitmap name and Lu and the necessary second modifier
Mat.Wood):

void colorpict Mat.WoodGrain
7 red green blue ashwood.pic . Lu Lv
0
0

Mat.WoodGrain plastic Mat.Wood
0
0
5 0.75 0.75 0.75 0 0

Mat.Wood mesh CYLIN
1 Cyl01.rtm
0
0

HTH

Rob F

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3C43C.673CB720

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: [Radiance-general] Radiance animation questions</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'm going to take a stab at one question - I've been =
using obj2mesh</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>7.) As can be seen, I have many curved surfaces in =
this model most of </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>which have been faceted.&nbsp; I would like to use a =
function to smooth the </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>shading on these.&nbsp; Is there any way to do this =
given the geometry is </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>already built?&nbsp; Something like the Phong =
shading -s option in gensurf or</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>maybe with the new mesh primitive???&nbsp; I =
apologize for my ignorance on </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>this topic, I rarely require this much detail.&nbsp; =
I'm imagining a modifier</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>or something I could give to the polygons I want to =
smooth over.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>You can use obj2mesh to get&nbsp; smooth =
shading</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Isolate the curved surfaces and export them as =
.obj&nbsp; run obj2mesh, put the .rtm into a .rad</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>here's a big honkin long URL that explains efforts =
to get phong shading with textures</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://www.daiservices.btinternet.co.uk/Radiance/Radiance_v3_5_U=
NIX/Phong_shading_and_bitmap_textures/Phong_shading_and_bitmap_textures.=
htm" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.daiservices.btinternet.co.uk/Radiance/Radia=
nce_v3_5_UNIX/Phong_shading_and_bitmap_textures/Phong_shading_and_bitmap=
_textures.htm</A></FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Near the bottom is an obj2mesh example... posted by =
John Graham&nbsp; of&nbsp; Digital Architectural Illustration =
Services</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The new OBJ2MESH utility is another way of importing =
a mesh object into RADIANCE and rendering with both phong smoothing and =
UV mapping co-ordinates. Ensure that RADIANCE 3.6A (patched V3.5) or =
greater is used.</FONT></P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>obj2mesh -a Cyl01.mtl -n 15 Cyl01.obj =
Cyl01.rtm</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Once the .RTM and corresponding .RAD files have been =
created, a material can be specified to utilise both the UV mapping =
co-ordinates and smoothing data. Below is a possible example of an =
appropriate material definition (note the dot between the bitmap name =
and Lu and the necessary second modifier Mat.Wood):</FONT></P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>void colorpict Mat.WoodGrain</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>7 red green blue ashwood.pic . Lu Lv</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>0</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>0</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Mat.WoodGrain plastic Mat.Wood</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>0</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>0</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>5 0.75 0.75 0.75 0 0</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Mat.Wood mesh CYLIN</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>1 Cyl01.rtm</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>0</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>0</FONT>
</P>