[Radiance-general] resolution mismatch revisited

Jack de Valpine [email protected]
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:14:32 -0500

--------------060200050003000901050507

John,

We use rpiece but probably a little differently in terms of invocation.
There are a couple of things to look at:

   1. typo - there is a typo in your first command line you have --aa
      which should be -a
   2. invocations - there is a short form for invoking rpiece after the
      initial invocation, which is what you are trying to do here. I
      would check the man page for rpiece carefully to make sure you are
      doing this correctly, it looks like you are leaving out the -x and
      -y image resolution parameters as well as the viewfile -vf  from
      the short version of the invocation. As an alternative to keep
      things more "simple", I would suggest just calling exactly the
      same thing as the initial invocation. This could be coded into a
      simple script or makefile to save yourself some of the headache of
      typing the whole thing our or a potentially incorrect cut and paste.
   3. scene complexity - depending on the simplicity or complexity of
      the scene you are trying to run here there is a another possible
      problem. If the scene is really simple and the image size small
      (500x500 is not that large) then the first rpiece process could
      have completed everything  before the next invocation (I seem to
      recall that this may produce the same kind of message?) Are you
      getting a completed image?

-Jack de Valpine

John S. An wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had followed Andrews discussion on resolution mismatch a few weeks
> back.  However, I seem to be running into a different type of
> resolution mismatch problem right now.
>
> I am venturing into the world of parallel processing on a dual G5
> Macintosh, and my first invocation of rpiece works fine.
>
> rpiece -X 5 -Y 5 -F b_b_b_sync -o b_b_b_1_indirect_plan.pic -PP
> b_b_b.pst -af b_b_b.amb -t 600 -vf ../views/plan.vf -dt 0.05 -dc 0.10
> -ds 0.01 -dj 0.6 -dr 3 -dp 4096 -st 0.01 -sj 1 -av 0.01 0.01 0.01 -aw
> 1 -ab 2 ad 2048 -as 1024 --aa 0.05 -ar 256 -aE ../ambient_exclude -x
> 500 -y 500 -ms 2.7 -lr 12 -lw 0.0005 -ps 1 -pt 0.04 -e b_b_b.out
> b_b_b.oct &
>
> However, when I try to start the second process
>
> rpiece -F b_b_b_sync -o b_b_b_1_indirect_plan.pic -PP b_b_b.pst
> b_b_b.oct &
>
> I get the error message
>
> rpiece: resolution mismatch on file "b_b_b_1_indirect_plan.pic
>
> I tried adjusting the -X -Y and -x -y parameters, but the same thing
> happened.  Just out of curiosity, I also tried adjusting the -av and
> -aw to 0, and the same results.
>

> I am certain that this is not a problem with a limit on the available
> resource.  The machine has 1.5GB of memory.
>
> Any hints as to what could be wrong?
>

> Thanks.
>
> John

#	John E. de Valpine
#	president
#
#	visarc incorporated
#	http://www.visarc.com
#
#	channeling technology for superior design and construction

--------------060200050003000901050507

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
John,<br>
We use rpiece but probably a little differently in terms of invocation. There
are a couple of things to look at:<br>
<ol>
  <li>typo - there is a typo in your first command line you have --aa which
should be -a</li>
  <li>invocations - there is a short form for invoking rpiece after the initial
invocation, which is what you are trying to do here. I would check the man
page for rpiece carefully to make sure you are doing this correctly, it looks
like you are leaving out the -x and -y image resolution parameters as well
as the viewfile -vf&nbsp; from the short version of the invocation. As an alternative
to keep things more "simple", I would suggest just calling exactly the same
thing as the initial invocation. This could be coded into a simple script
or makefile to save yourself some of the headache of typing the whole thing
our or a potentially incorrect cut and paste.</li>
  <li>scene complexity - depending on the simplicity or complexity of the
scene you are trying to run here there is a another possible problem. If
the scene is really simple and the image size small (500x500 is not that
large) then the first rpiece process could have completed everything &nbsp;before
the next invocation (I seem to recall that this may produce the same kind
of message?) Are you getting a completed image?</li>
</ol>
-Jack de Valpine<br>
John S. An wrote:<br>
 cite="[email protected]">Hi all, <br>
I had followed Andrews discussion on resolution mismatch a few weeks  back.&nbsp;
However, I seem to be running into a different type of  resolution mismatch
problem right now. <br>
I am venturing into the world of parallel processing on a dual G5  Macintosh,
and my first invocation of rpiece works fine. <br>
rpiece -X 5 -Y 5 -F b_b_b_sync -o b_b_b_1_indirect_plan.pic -PP  b_b_b.pst
-af b_b_b.amb -t 600 -vf ../views/plan.vf -dt 0.05 -dc 0.10  -ds 0.01 -dj
0.6 -dr 3 -dp 4096 -st 0.01 -sj 1 -av 0.01 0.01 0.01 -aw 1  -ab 2 ad 2048
-as 1024 --aa 0.05 -ar 256 -aE ../ambient_exclude -x 500  -y 500 -ms 2.7
-lr 12 -lw 0.0005 -ps 1 -pt 0.04 -e b_b_b.out b_b_b.oct  &amp; <br>
However, when I try to start the second process <br>
rpiece -F b_b_b_sync -o b_b_b_1_indirect_plan.pic -PP b_b_b.pst  b_b_b.oct
&amp; <br>
I get the error message <br>
rpiece: resolution mismatch on file "b_b_b_1_indirect_plan.pic <br>
I tried adjusting the -X -Y and -x -y parameters, but the same thing  happened.&nbsp;
Just out of curiosity, I also tried adjusting the -av and  -aw to 0, and
the same results. <br>
I am certain that this is not a problem with a limit on the available  resource.&nbsp;
The machine has 1.5GB of memory. <br>
Any hints as to what could be wrong? <br>
Thanks. <br>
John <br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
#	John E. de Valpine
#	president
#
#	visarc incorporated
#	<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.visarc.com">http://www.visarc.com</a>
#
#	channeling technology for superior design and construction</pre>

--------------060200050003000901050507--