[Radiance-general] Re: Average luminance or illuminance for a irregular shaped space

Greg Ward [email protected]
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 21:36:46 -0800

Hi Karen,

No one ever responded to your query, so I thought I'd offer some
general ideas, since I've never done this myself.

One thing you could try is creating a mask in Photoshop by drawing into
a separate alpha layer over the area you want to average and saving the
layer out as a grayscale TIFF.  (Start in Photoshop from the
full-resolution original converted to TIFF using ra_tiff.)  Reverse
this through ra_tiff to get a Radiance picture you can then feed to
pcomb, like so:

% ra_tiff -r mask.tif mask.pic
% pcomb -e 'lo=li(1)*li(2)' -o orig.pic mask.pic | pvalue -d -b -h -H |
total

Take this result, which will be a single number, and divide it by the
sum over the mask:

% pvalue -d -b -h -H mask.pic | total

This is your area average.  I'm assuming that you have made the mask
white where you want it to average, and black everywhere else.

I hope this makes sense.
-Greg