[Radiance-general] mkillum q's

Georg Mischler [email protected]
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:37:33 -0500 (EST)

Fitzsimmons, Rob wrote:

> Thanks guys for your help
>
> Rob - I did put the rtrace options in a mkillum= line, not the illum=
> still rendering - we'll see how it turns out
>
> A couple of other things I don't understand
>
> If I use both the scene=sky.rad and  illum=windows.rad
> Are they both lighting the scene?
> I assume not.. watching the process:
>
>  oconv nov15.rad house_mat_lit.rad house6nw.rad chandel_mat.rad furniture.rad
>   > window.oct
>  oconv -i window.oct windows.rad > window0.oct
>  mkillum window0.oct "<" windows.rad > il000949
>  oconv -f -i window.oct il000949 > window1.oct
>  rm -f il000949
>  rm -f win.amb
>
> It seems
> window.oct is the full scene
> window0.oct  is  windows.rad

That's window.oct with windows.rad added to it (the -i option).

> window1.oct is the full scene with the windows.rad turned into illums?

Yes (same principle).

> after mkillum creates the illum1.dat, illum2.dat etc.
> How do I then reference that info?

You shouldn't need to, rad does that.
I'm not sure if you can convince rad *not* to delete "il000949"
again after creating the final octree, because that's where you'd
find how it's done...  It should be a brightfunc referencing
illum.cal, but I don't have an example sitting around either.

> I assume when using rad, it is somewhat automated.
> but If I were to manually use mkillum, does it alter the windows.rad file to
> use the illum.dat files?

The "il000949" (or whatever name it will get on the next run)
is the altered version of windows.rad.

-schorsch

--
Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/