[Radiance-general] 3.5 compilation woes

Captain Boiler [email protected]
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:28:51 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Rob,

I hope you had a pleasant walk home after work yesterday...
Maybe the East Coast is more in need of Gouvernor Arnold Schwarzenegger
than California ...

back to the business:

compiling usually doesn't work at the first try, this is perfectly normal.
Equally usual, it's just some minor stuff like this or that header file not
found because of a wrong search path, so it pays off to be patient.
The version mess nevertheless can be quite annoying, it's increasingly hard to
keep track of all the different system specifics. Was it /usr/X11/include or
/usr/include/X11 or /usr/f...it/X11R6/... (these are still the easy ones...)
Often links are set to redirect a lot of different namings, but just the one you need
may be missing...

See it the positive way, you learn something about your system: where's what?
Do it like Schorsch proposed, and then look at the output file with all the compiler
messages. Look for 'file not found' items, then add the directory, in which these
headers reside on your system, to the rmake- "MACH" options with -I/your/specific/dir.

concerning rayinit.cal
When you do the compiling yourself, you know the directory where this file is moved
to, as you're asked by the script to give a name yourself (library-dir). This path then
gets coded into the executables (but may be overriden by an environment variable setting)
If you're using precompiled executables, look for some info what library path is
set for these, so you can put all the cal files in the correct directory rightaway.
I can imagine that this info is missing, so issue a fierce complaint at the binary package
distributor :-)

This rayninit.cal (i.e. all .cal-file) mess is certainly awkward, but on the other
hand this allows a great amount of flexibility by enabling you to load specific
stuff on startup, even complicated algorithms, which otherwise would have to be
compiled into the program.

-Carsten

P.S. I remember some other postings months ago dealing with installation problems,
      have a look at the mailing list archives.