[Radiance-general] Re: colorpict modifiers in instances and frozen

Greg Ward [email protected]
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:19:56 -0700

Lars O. Grobe wrote:
> One more question regarding this topic, if I apply a colorpict to an
> object,
> and use this as instance, will the transformations of the instance be
> applied
> to the pattern, too?

Only if the colorpict pattern was included in the original file you
used to create your octree instance.  If it is defined in a separate
material file included with the scene containing the instance, the
transformation will not be applied the same way.

You really should follow Schorsch's advice also about when to use the
instance primitive.  There really needs to be a help file or something
on instances, and I seem to remember writing something like this
somewhere, but now I can't even find it...  The rule of thumb I use is
that there have to be at least 200 geometric primitives in an object
before it's worth making an instance.  Otherwise, the overhead of
tracing rays through instanced octrees negates the memory savings.

Replmarks replaces the markers with transformed scene files (or
instances), and as long as you put the related colorpict's in the
transformed scene files (or instances), and not in the replmarks input,
you should be OK.