[Radiance-general] Creating texture maps, again

Georg Mischler [email protected]
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:22:44 -0500 (EST)

Randolph Fritz wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 08:41:29PM -0500, Georg Mischler wrote:
> > Randolph Fritz wrote:
> >
> > > I'm wanting to create a Radiance texture and pattern for large,
> > > light-colored pea gravel.  Any thoughts on the best way to do this?
> >

> > Um, convert a picture of the stuff to the radiance format
> > and apply it to your ground... Or did you have something
> > more elaborate in mind?
> >

> That would work for pattern but not texture, not so?

So you actually want a bump map for gravel?

I'm not sure how realistic that would end up. There's no
texpict modifier, so you'd have to go with data files.
But in general, textures work best for material structures
that have only limited deviation from the ideal surface.
The deep cavities in a gravel surface can't be modelled
realistically just by manipulating the normal vector.
At least I can't think of a good way to do so.

The other question is of course if you really need this
level of detail. If you keep your view points away from
the floor, then some kind of random noise might already
be enough to say "this is meant to be gravel". And a
pattern image goes a long way from there.

-schorsch

Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch.com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/