[Radiance-general] Re: light maps in radiance

Carsten Bauer [email protected]
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:40:31 +0100

Hi Peter !

you're right but let's spend my last cent on this -- not if the fourth
parameter is -1 ?

There is of course a personal interest behind it. The reason, why I'm
hacking on this is, that I spent some time thinking of other ways to
deal with broad area sources (for some design-case studies) . If you use
glow sources in direct mode, you will see the effects of
source-subdivision on nearby objects illuminated by them (e.g. semi-
transparent layers. ) If you use glows in ambient mode, things are
better, but for a nice look you need very high parameter settings,
(although personally I'm still not satisfied ..). I got the assumption
that the hemisphere-sampling method works better in the "far field
range" than for near field illumination. (sorry, but it seems that I
always try to use tools for tasks they weren't intentionally made for...
:) )

so long

-cb