[Radiance-general] Linux installation

Bruce Sounes [email protected]
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:28:17 +0100

I have recently installed Suse Linux V8 at home to explore using Radiance in
its "native" environment. Starting with the Desktop Radiance installation
under Windows, I am now reasonably confident in setting up scenes, lights
etc using Cad and a text editor.

I am finding Linux a bit of a challenge.  How do I set the RAYPATH
environment variable under the Bourne Again Shell (bash), and how do I set
it as part of my login? I have discovered that if I change to the c-shell
(csh) and follow the installation instructions, it works for that session.
Similarly the animation scripts in the old email archives work under csh,
but not under bash. Should/Can I set Linux to use the c-shell as standard?
Is it worth the bother? Can anyone offer advise on the best way to go, or
refer me to good documentation sites.

Not being familiar with either language, and because of its cross-platform
support, I have been reading up on Perl as an alternative for writing
scripts to use with Radiance. Has anyone used Perl for animations and would
they be willing to share their efforts?

Many thanks

Bruce Sounes