[Radiance-general] Applying materials & non-orthagonal surfaces

dela [email protected]
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:04:46 -0700 (PST)

I recently posted a question regarding perforated
metal.  The material worked great, but I had to do a
lot of tedious manual labor getting it to work right
on a 3D arch due to the changes in surface normal of
each section of the arch.

So, I've been wondering if there is a better way to
handle adding orientation specific materials to mesh
geometry.  (practically all the "advanced" materials
in radiance seem to be orientation specific)  So, is
there a tool that will facilitate this process?
Seems like it would need to read a rad file,
calculate the surface normals for the polygons, and
then write out a corresponding material file &
possibly new rad file to go with the material file.
My guess is that's how it would need to work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!  Mark