[Radiance-openstudio] Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) Calculations in OpenStudio's Coupled Radiance and EnergyPlus Simulations

Justin Shultz jss5237 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 11:08:38 PDT 2014

Thank you for the responses everyone. This has been extremely helpful.

Paula,

I look forward to reading your thesis, sounds very applicatable. I agree, I
think the method that I will need to use will be to tie a Radiance
simulation to EnergyPlus. The trick will be figuring out how to transform
the Radiance result to EnergyPlus input.

------

Rob,

Thank you for your thorough response. Im excited to see where OpenStudio
goes and how it get integrated into the design process. The features you
guys are integrating and streamlining will be really fun to test out in the
future. Unfortunately, I'm going to need more control over the BSDFs
selection and control. This project is also on a short(ish) deadline.

It appears as though to model a custom, dynamic CFS I am going to have to
use the radiance 3-phase simulations and manually tie the results into
EnergyPlus with a schedule and maybe (EMS for the solar heat gain). The
3-phase method seems to be the best method for this so I'm going to have to
read up on that process.

I found "The Three-Phase Method for Simulating Complex Fenestration with
Radiance" tutorial by Andrew McNeil. It looks like a good place to start
but the disconnnect in my head is how to take the annual simulation results
and convert them to a schedule for EnergyPlus. There are a couple programs
that do this already, like DAYSIM and OpenStudio, but I haven't figured out
how to do it manually. Does anyone have any material on how to manually
convert Radiance results to an EnergyPlus schedule?

I've been reading through German Molina's thesis, which has been very
helpful so far. I was wondering if there are any tutorials (over tips) that
step someone through how to convert Radiance result to an EnergyPlus
schedule? I thought there might have been a module in Radiance that did
this but I haven't been able to find it.

Thank you for the help everyone, I really appreciate it. Sorry to keep the
chain going for so long. I hope this is benefitial to others too!
Justin Shultz
PhD Student