[Radiance-openstudio] Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) Calculations in OpenStudio's Coupled Radiance and EnergyPlus Simulations

Justin Shultz jss5237 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 11:11:57 PDT 2014

Hello German,

Thank you for the quick reply. Yeah, that's my understanding of the
daylight contributions and the mkschedule.rb code. The part that I don't
understand is if the OpenStudio simulation of Radiance and EnergyPlus
calculates the new solar heat gain (of the CFS) using Radiance or
EnergyPlus, if at all.

Let's use a dynamic venitican blind as an example, ones that track the
sun's altitude. The intercepted solar irradiance will block some direct
sunlight and solar heat gain. The part I'm unclear about is how to
implement (if it's not already) the interception of solar heat gain from
directly entering the thermal zone modeled in EnergyPlus. If
OpenStudiodoes this already, maybe I'm just missing it and someone can
point me in
the right direction. If it doesn't, is there a tutorial that goes over
Radiance daylight and solar heat gain simulations and how they plug into
EnergyPlus. Also, the limitations of using said method.

If you don't mind sharing, I think your thesis would be very helpful in
understanding how to apply thermal and daylight simulations to an
EnergyPlus simulation.

Thank you,
Justin

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Germán Molina Larrain <germolinal at gmail.com