[Radiance-general] Different colorpict modifiers for diffuse reflection/transmission (BRTDfunc)

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 12:10:56 PDT 2019

Hi Jon,

We have a similar discussion going on at the Discourse server:

	https://discourse.radiance-online.org/t/modelling-coated-surface-with-refraction/4909/6

Perhaps you'd like to join in there?

Regarding different modifiers on different sides, it can be easily done for a flat surface, and with greater difficulty for curved surfaces.  For a flat surface, just copy your surface normal vector into the arguments of the modifier, and compute your own dot product between the stored normal and the ray direction to determine front or back.  You can either use this as you suggest to modify the colorpict coordinate lookup, or for a mixfunc that goes between two colorpict modifiers with their respective images.

Note that patterns affect both the diffuse and specularly transmitted components for BRTDfunc.

Cheers,
-Greg