[Radiance-general] Turning off specular reflections in rtrace

Jon Sargent j.a.sargent at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 11:10:21 PST 2019

Thanks Greg,

-st 1 sounds like the trick I need, but I can't seem to get the specular
bounces to go away.  For example, if I shoot a ray (0 0 1 0 0 -1) down at a
piece of glass,

*void glass myglass 0 0 3 .5 .5 .5*
*myglass polygon srf*
*0*
*0*
*12*
*    -1 -1 0*
*    1 -1 0*
*    1 1 0*
*    -1 1 0*
*void glow myglow 0 0 4 1 1 1 0*
*myglow source ground 0 0 4 0 0 -1 180*
*myglow source sky 0 0 4 0 0 1 180*

a reflection ray bounces back, even with -st >= 1.  E.g., rtrace -oTsdV -ab
0 -st 1 gives:

ground 0.000000e+000 0.000000e+000 -1.000000e+000 4.585344e-001
4.585344e-001 4.585344e-001
sky 0.000000e+000 0.000000e+000 1.000000e+000 5.234219e-002 5.234219e-002
5.234219e-002
srf 0.000000e+000 0.000000e+000 -1.000000e+000 5.108765e-001 5.108765e-001
5.108765e-001

I see the same thing for a specular plastic BTW. Any other settings I need
to tweak?

The purpose is an annual calculation, where the direct-direct contribution
is removed from the daylight coefficients and replaced by a more accurate
calculation.  Indeed, I can write a version of the scene with the specular
properties removed (as Andy does in 5-phase), but the scene materials need
to maintain their transmissive properties, so something like glass requires
a work-around.  Maybe that's the only tricky one ... I was just trying to
see if I could rtrace-settings my way out of writing special handlers for
all the transmissive types. :)

Cheers,

Jon