[Radiance-general] BSDF in child processes' memory

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Fri May 25 12:56:41 PDT 2018

Dear Radiance mailing-list and website subscribers,

I am currently running some rather extreme case of a scene employing
BSDF. Three rank 4, 2^7x2^7 tensors are loaded, and I run 40 rcontrib
processes in parallel. From my understanding, since the BSDF does not
change during the rendering, the processes' memory footprint should be
light. However, after several hours, the processes have grown large
enough to start the system swapping to disk. This is on a linux system
with 64 GB.

What could make the processes create such massive amounts of data? Is it
the caching or the cumulation to generate the pdf that modifies memory
and thereby prevents using shared pages?

Besides, does Radiance detect if multiple material definitions reference
the same XML file, or are these loaded separately for each definition of
a BSDF type?

This was my first post after the migration of the list, I am really
curious if it gets through :) Thank you Dan for the effort to set this
up, and in particular to maintain the email-interface, which allows me
to still get all this valuable information archived in my mailbox.

Cheers, Lars.