[Radiance-general] Two windows different directions Three Phase simulation

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 19:13:29 PST 2018

Hi Sandi,

I'm not spotting anything obvious wrong with your Radiance commands.  I would also expect your first rcontrib command to generate two view matrix files.  The "klems_int.cal" file has been superseded in recent years by "klems_full.cal", which should have the same functionality in this application.  Which version of Radiance are you using? (I.e., what does "rcontrib -version" say?)    If you are not on 5.1, you might download the latest installer from NREL.

Are your window surface normals both facing into the room, and are windowsouth and windownorth defined as "glow" or "light" materials?

To combine the north and south window contributions, you want to run dctimestep on each, combining your sky matrix or vector with the appropriate BTDF per window to obtain the partial irradiance values at your sensor points.  These may then be added together and converted to illuminance using rmtxop.  If you are having trouble with this part, send the list of commands and file names you have working, and we can put together the final bits.

Are you working from Sarith's tutorial <https://www.radiance-online.org/learning/tutorials/matrix-based-methods> ?  This is the most comprehensive directions we have available.

Best,
-Greg