[Radiance-general] Errors with Vertically Tall HDR Images

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 09:52:13 PDT 2018

Hi Alstan,

I didn't realize the Discourse server was down (again).  I'm having Daniel Fuller look into it....

Regarding your HDR file, the one you posted is indeed missing the last 500 or so scanlines, explaining your errors.  Either rtrace died prematurely, or your views.rays file didn't have the full compliment of views.  Running under Windows, we have had issues with RAW floating-point file termination, although I was hoping those had been worked out with the most recent compiler and libraries.

There are other, easier ways to accomplish what you are doing.  The simplest would be the rpict -S option, which combined with the -o option, does almost exactly what you want:  generates multiple views from the same octree with the same options, thus avoiding the start-up costs.  You can write out the many picture files using a "%d" somewhere in the -o output specification.  This avoids the need for pcompos to separate the outputs.

Cheers,
-Greg