[Radiance-general] perfect specular reflection in rtrace

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 11:46:48 PDT 2017

Hi Antoine,

Glad you got the basic mirror type working.

One thing you should take into consideration for your model is the Fresnel factor that affects how light reflects off glazing materials (building facades).  The "mirror" type does not change its reflectance with angle, but coated and uncoated glazing materials do.  There are exact calculations and approximations you can use, which you can apply as a "brightfunc" modifier to the "mirror" type.

To answer your question, though, the number of reflections or redirections from virtual source materials is controlled by the -dr rendering option.  Set this to "-dr 0" if you do not wish to include any specular source redirections.  You will still get reflections (even multiple reflections) of the sky, even if you set -ab 0.  That's because the specular reflections don't count in the diffuse interreflection (ambient) calculation.  To fully eliminate sky reflections, you'll need to set -lr 0.

Cheers,
-Greg