[Radiance-general] perfect specular reflection in rtrace

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 11:10:34 PDT 2017

Hi Antoine,

It seems you are running up against the limitation of ray-tracing to find small sources such as the sun in specular surfaces.

There is a specific fix for this problem for flat surface in Radiance, which is the "virtual source" calculation.  However, you need to use a special "mirror" type rather than "plastic" to enable this:

void mirror M_Spec
0
0
3 1 1 1

If you use this as your material, I think you will get the results you expect.

I should point out that a 100% specular material is not realistic.  Polished metallic surfaces may reflect as much as 99% of light, but 100% is difficult to achieve without resorting to a prismatic dielectric film or similar.

Best,
-Greg