[Radiance-general] Problem with Trans material

Jan Wienold jan.wienold at epfl.ch
Thu May 18 07:41:16 PDT 2017

Hi Andrea,

I don't think trans material is the right way to model fabrics, since
fabrics change their behavior depending on the angle of incidence. And
since you don't have an option to model an angular behavior with trans
it is better to use another material type. One option doing it is using
BRTDfunc and "control" the direct transmitted part via a cal file.
Typical fabrics have a very constant total transmission until 75° and
then a drop similar as a glass. This can be modelled with an additional
glass layer with a very low refraction index. The direct transmission
depends on the fabric type and weaving process - typically you have
cut-off angles for the direct transmission between 60-75°. This behavior
you can model with a cal file. I've done that recently for a big
simulation study as basis for the new European daylight standard and you
can come close to the real behavior of the fabrics with this modeling
approach. We compared BTDF measurements with the model.

good luck

Jan