[Radiance-general] Glass transmittance

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 12:45:12 PST 2017

Helo Ali,

If you have the formula that accounts for the presence of the window in your opening, you should not apply it to a "glass" surface.  The Radiance "glass" type does an exact calculation of transmission and reflection as a function of incident angle, which your polynomial approximates.  If you want or need to use the formula, then switch out your glass for:

void brightfunc bf
2 val gtrans.cal
0
0

bf trans Glass1
0
0
7 1 1 1 0 0 1 1

Note that you need to use "bf" as the modifier to your trans material to see its effect.  (Your original model used "void" which ignores the brightfunc entirely.)

You should also use "cosine=Rdot;" in your cal file, or change the sign of your calculation, which will always produce a negative cosine value in this case.

Finally, you should feel free to try using the "glass" type with the correct transmission value, which you can calculate from your formula, which yields 0.87881 as the transmittance at normal incidence, and the trans.cal file, which says transmission should be 0.95712, assuming an index of refraction of 1.52:

void glass Glass1
0
0
3 0.95712 0.95712 0.95712

I'm hoping the results should be the same between the two descriptions.

Cheers,
-Greg