[Radiance-general] Illuminance data from different daylight sources

Germán Molina Larrain germolinal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 13:37:51 PDT 2017

Hi Andrea,

If I understood your question correctly, I would say it is definitely
possible to get all that data from a Radiance Model and, after
understanding how the command line and Radiance programs work, should not
really be that hard.

The programs GENSKY allows you define CIE clear and overcast skies, and
even control the color of the sky and ignore the sun. You can always delete
the sky as well, and use a black (i.e. 0% reflection) model for calculating
the direct sunlight.

If you are going to perform static simulations (i.e. choosing a certain
date and time of the year), I would just use RTRACE program (I think Axel's
Radiance Cookbook has all the info you need to start doing all this). HINT:
You can use the XFORM "-m" option for transforming your model into a
completely black world.

If you are going to perform climate-based daylight simulations, well...
everything gets messier and requires a longer explanation. I would start by
going through the first couple of tutorials in the website in order to
understand how Radiance works.

Final comment + disclaimer: I am the developer of Groundhog, so I would use
that tool in order to create the model within SketchUp and export it to
Radiance. *However, I have not ever used another tool, so there may be
better ones out there.*

Kind regards

Germán