[Radiance-general] Illuminance data from different daylight sources

Andrea Laenens andrea.laenens at student.kuleuven.be
Sat Jul 8 08:56:42 PDT 2017

Dear,

I am a student at the KULeuven and currently working on a master thesis about estimating the health effects of daylight in a room. So far, I've been using the program DIVA for Grasshopper (McNeel), which counts on Radiance for light calculations. However, I am unable to retrieve the data from it that need. I am therefore considering to dig a little deeper into the underlying commands, and start working in Radiance instead.

The main idea for the calculation is to weigh the values of the intensity measured inside to the spectral distribution of the light source (outside). I would like to approach this problem using the CIE illuminants for direct sunlight, cloudy sky and clear blue sky (as suggested by Mardaljevic et al., 2013). As an output of Radiance, I thus expect:
- illuminance values inside, resulting from direct sunlight only
- illuminance values inside, resulting from cloudy sky only
- illuminance values inside, resulting from clear blue sky only
- or, a way to retrieve the contribution of clouded/clear sky to the light coming from the sky dome, using a sky cover coefficient

Before I start my adventure in Radiance, I would like to know:
- is it possible to retrieve this kind of data from Radiance?
- how would you suggest doing this?

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards,

Andrea Laenens