[Radiance-general] Formatting Geometry in Rhino to use genBSDF

Germán Molina Larrain germolinal at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 19:21:20 PST 2017

Hello Stephanie,

First, I want to clarify that genBSDF uses Radiance format as input, which
is not the same as MGF. Actually, MGF is a format with some really cool
features, but rarely used (unfortunately?).

Anyways... Any tool that exports Radiance or MGF formated geometry (which
is also readable by Radiance) is useful for generating input for genBSDF.
That said, I do not use Rhino, but probably DIVA and Honey Bee or Ladybug
can help you on that. Otherwise, there are some SketchUp plugins for
exporting Radiance geometry,  which is a tool that allows importing several
3D formats. Finally, I have read several times about Radiance using .OBJ
through obj2rad program. I understand that this format is also common, but
not suited to model physically realistic materials.

So... I think you have several choices. I am pretty sure all these formats
are able to model any required geometry, and that the choice you make will
be a matter of how easy is to "draw" it.

Regarding how to input this geometry into genBSDF, you have to place the
width of your "window" along the X axis, Height along the Y axis and inside
is towards Z axis (i.e. Up). Any geometry over the Z axis is inside the
space and will emit a warning. Read the tutorials for more information on
this!

I hope it helps

best,

Germán