[Radiance-general] Radiance-general Digest, Vol 166, Issue 33

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 16:57:54 PST 2017

Hi Valerie,

You are correct about irradiance units, which are watts/meter^2.  That was my mistake.

If you wish to add up irradiance, I would still recommend doing this with rtrace rather than rsensor, unless you have a specific spherical sensitivity in mind.  You can give rtrace any hemisphere orientations you like and average the results using "total" or your own program.

However, the light arriving on a plane *is* irradiance, which is a sum over the hemisphere of incoming directions with a cosine weighting.  If you were to give rtrace a set of different directions for irradiance, then you would arrive at something more like total incident radiation at a point, which is an unusual quantity.  What do you need this value for, exactly?

Cheers,
-Greg