[Radiance-general] lens,genbsdf,lightpipe

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Mon Dec 25 06:34:28 PST 2017

Hi Davood,

I am afraid that this is not going to work. You can model a lens with
dielectric, if you ensure sufficiently high resolution of your mesh.
That will work if you "look through it" in Radiance. But if you want it
to use it e.g. in illuminance calculations below your light pipe or see
the redistributed light on a diffuse surface, you would have to use the
photon map. You find an example here, where I tried to avoid tesselated
surfaces to create "perfect" spherical lenses:

http://dx.doi.org/10.13140/2.1.2852.4321

The BSDF modifier will not help you here. The BSDF in Radiance describes
an average over the surface you apply it to. A lens works different, it
matters wether your ray hits it in the center or on the edge, otherwise
it will not work.

About the light-pipe, you may do that with rfluxmtx. But maybe this is
just one more reason to look into the photon map.

Cheers,
Lars.