[Radiance-general] Direct horizontal illuminance

Phillip Greenup Phillip.Greenup at arup.com
Thu Dec 21 20:56:48 PST 2017

Dear Dennis,

You will need to define the light entity 'solar' before applying it to the 'sun'. The definition you have provided for 'sun' tells Radiance the direction toward the sun and it's angular size, but it doesn't tell it how bright it is.

An example of the type of definition you require is:
void light solar
0
0
3 1000 1000 1000

This would create a sun with radiance 1000 W/m2/sr in each of the red, green and blue colour bands. Note that I have used 1000 as an example; a normal sun brightness would be more than 1e6 W/m2/sr.

If you want to achieve a known direct horizontal illuminance, you can scale these numbers to suit your target value.

I hope this helps,
Phil.