[Radiance-general] Proxy geometry in the five-phase method

Sarith Subramaniam sarith at psu.edu
Fri Dec 8 06:29:35 PST 2017

The Daylight Coefficient
<https://github.com/sariths/radTutorialFiles/blob/master/room/commands/2PM_DayCoeff.sh>
and Three Phase
<https://github.com/sariths/radTutorialFiles/blob/master/room/commands/3PM.sh>
examples use a sky with 145 patches in which the sun accounts for 3-4
patches. In these examples, the sky and sun are both represented through
the "glow" primitive and the ray-tracing is stochastic. The additional
steps in the Five Phase
<https://github.com/sariths/radTutorialFiles/blob/master/room/commands/5PM.sh>
example subtract out the direct component of the results from the
glow-based oversized sun patches and replace them with replace them with
accurately calculated direct sun-results. In this case, the sun is
represented using the "light" primitive (implying a deterministic
calculation) and is also more appropriately sized (0.533 degrees).

The exercise files also contain an improved version
<https://github.com/sariths/radTutorialFiles/blob/master/room/commands/2PM_DDS.sh>
of the Daylight Coefficient Method that features the direct-sun
correction. I think the results from that calculation and the Five Phase
calculation will be similar as they both involve the direct-sun correction.

The final part of the Five-Phase method requires Tensor-Tree BSDFs. The
methodology for creating BSDFs from Radiance primitives is discussed in
the genBSDF tutorial
<https://www.radiance-online.org/learning/tutorials/Tutorial-genBSDF_v1.0.1.pdf>.
If your glazing system is just a simple glazing comprised of something
like "glass" or "trans", you can incorporate the glazing geometry
directly. This process would be similar to what is discussed for the
improved Daylight Coefficient calculation
<https://github.com/sariths/radTutorialFiles/blob/master/room/commands/2PM_DDS.sh#L55-L73>.

Sarith