[Radiance-general] Radiance under Mac OS X (Mavericks 10.9 and later)

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 14:05:57 PDT 2017

If you are running Radiance under a recent edition of Mac OS X, you may want to selectively disable "App Nap", which is a feature that makes your process take longer because it thinks you're not "using it."  See:

	https://www.howtogeek.com/277414/what-is-app-nap-is-it-slowing-down-my-mac-apps/

You can scroll down for how to disable App Nap for specific applications.  I haven't experimented with it enough to be sure if it's sufficient to just disable it for the Terminal, or if you have to individually apply it to the Radiance renderers (if such a thing is possible), or if you need to do it system-wide.  You may need to experiment, and please report back with what you found.

I'm still running Lion (10.7), because it's the *oldest* version of OS X my MacBook supports.   So, I don't really know how big a problem this is, but I've noticed that background renders take forever under more recent versions.  (Can't say I'm a fan of anything Apple has done in the last 5 years.)

Also check out a very useful command-line tool called "caffeinate", which I just heard about.  It flags a process to keep the system from going to sleep while it's running.

Cheers,