[Radiance-general] multi-processor rendering

Christopher Rush Christopher.Rush at arup.com
Thu Oct 6 09:08:37 PDT 2016

Several years ago I tried out rpiece but found it wasn't always reliable - at least not on the system I had been using. I found this following vwrays and rtrace command sequence to work well to get around this. This is for creating a few renderings of a single static scene (for example electric lighting, or single daylight condition). Of course there would be additional ambient parameters on the command line. So I have two questions in addition to opening this to general critique:

1. Has rpeice changed much over the past few years, and would it have any processing speed benefits if I were to try it again?
2. Would using rcontrib offer any processing speed benefits? (I started that way but then realized I should gain speed using the ambient file for rtrace)

Example successful command sequence using 6 processors:

view1="-x 4096 -y 2160 -vf view1.vf"
vwrays -ff $view | rtrace    -w -n 6 -af scene.amb -ffc $(vwrays -d $view) scene.oct > view1.hdr
vwrays -ff $view | rtrace -i -w -n 6 -af scene.amb -ffc $(vwrays -d $view) scene.oct > view1-i.hdr

Thanks for all feedback.
Chris