[Radiance-general] Getting Started

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 06:22:10 PDT 2016

Abdul

I am not familiar with the internals of the NREL installer. Perhaps it
already has done the job for you. Open a terminal and type

which rpict

If it comes back with a path like /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/radiance/bin
you are already set to use Radiance. The RAYPATH variable is not strictly
necessary but some scene setups expect it to be available.

A general discussion about setting environment variables in Mac OS (or the
previous versions) is here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/603785/environment-variables-in-mac-os-x/4567308#4567308

It's a few years old by now but I think most of this still applies. If you
are new to the Unix shell environment you can use this introduction to
setting variables:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/07/28/set-enviornment-variables-mac-os-x/

Please note that you can damage your user profile with these changes, which
could make it impossible to the terminal to clean up the mess. If you are
new to this you should ask around if someone has experience with Mac OS or
Linux and ask them to assist you. You can set up a second user and try your
modifications in that profile first. If it get's damaged you can just
delete it. In any case, make a backup!

Regards,
Thomas