[Radiance-general] genskyvec with HDR sky view?

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri May 27 16:26:41 PDT 2016

Hi Achim,

I wouldn't call what you are trying to do "easy," even if others have done it.  Your HDR file has to be in the correct units or scaled by the right amount to get calibrated radiance values, and even then, the sun is usually out of range(clipped) and won't be properly sampled if it is a clear sky.

As you noted, such a sky cannot be given as input to genskyvec, which expects a very specific set of primitives output by gensky or gendaylit.  Specifically, you need to name your colorpict pattern "skyfunc" and add a solar source if the sky is sunny.  You could try to modify your description to match, but you'd have to look at the Perl script src/util/genskyvec.pl to figure out how to satisfy the input requirements.

Once you have a sky description, you can use rtrace with the -I option to compute hemispherical irradiance, from which you can create an adjustment factor to apply to your glow based on horizontal irradiance.

It's all possible, but the details are not very straightforward.

Best,
-Greg