[Radiance-general] Radiance 5.0 installation on ubuntu 14.04

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 09:18:26 PDT 2016

Hi Humberto,

It does help to know a little context about your model.  Yes, using "u=Z" for vertical windows in any orientation and "u=Y" for the sky or skylights is the standard approach.  This is in fact the default behavior in rfluxmtx if no up-direction is specified, but it's best to be explicit about it.  The "u=Y" for horizontal relates to the standard choice of Y for "north" in gensky and gendaylit.  You can of course rotate the sky during your dctimestep phase, and this is much faster than rotating your surface orientations and re-running rfluxmtx.

In other words, I recommend running rfluxmtx once for the interior illuminances and their relation to your inward-facing window.  Then, you will run it again to connect the still inward-facing window polygon as a source this time and its flux relationship to the ground and sky hemisphere.  This brings up another important point, which is how best to specify the ground+sky in rfluxmtx.  I discussed this durning my 2014 Workshop presentation on new Radiance features:

	Radiance Code Update 2014  http://www.radiance-online.org/community/workshops/2014-london/presentations/day1/Ward_WhatIsNew.pdf

The discussion of rfluxmtx starts at slide 38.  Pay special attention to the example on slide 42, where I show how to combine a uniform ground hemisphere with a Reinhart sky description.

Once you have your two flux matrices, you will pipe the output of gensky or (more likely) gendaylit to xform -rz to rotate in the opposite direction of your model's rotation, then through genskyvec into dctimestep, where you will combine the matrices with the desired window glazing+shading BTDF to compute the irradiance values for your interior points.  Alternatively, you may run gendaymtx for a whole year, using its built-in -rz option rather than xform.

Cheers,
-Greg