[Radiance-general] Ambient files increase illiminance

Grigori Grozman Grigori.Grozman at equa.se
Tue Mar 15 07:24:44 PDT 2016

Dear Radiance experts.

I am professionally using radiance for calculating daylight factors and illuminance. It all works quite well. However, I can not fully understand how to use ambient files.

Question 1: Is there any comprehensive documentation on the topic?

Question 2: It seems to me that when rtrace is used with ambient files, a higher value of illuminance is calculated than when no ambient files are used. Is there any explanations to that? Which value is more correct?

I have put together a simple example that illustates the problem. I attach the files. The run.bat file needs to be run and the result is printed to the file res.txt.

Best regards

Grigori Grozman