[Radiance-general] RGB to Radiance definition

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 04:43:34 PDT 2016

Hi Germán,

While it's generally a bad idea to have reflectances (or transmittances) greater than 1 or less than 0, Radiance does not restrict you to this range.  In fact, if you are rendering colors from another (wider gamut) color space, such coefficients are sometimes necessary.  However, the Y sum (expressed by your R*0.265 + 0.67*G + 0.065*B equation) should stay between 0 and 1.  If you have an eyedropper that yields values outside this range, then it is not producing usable colors.

Cheers,
-Greg