[Radiance-general] Announcing the RADIANCE out-of-core photon map

Schregle Roland HSLU T&A roland.schregle at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 06:40:32 PDT 2016

Dear RADIANCE community,

we are proud to announce the release of a heavily revised RADIANCE photon
map which includes parallelisation and out-of-core storage. This is the
final outcome of the software developed during our project at the
Competence Centre Envelopes and Solar Energy at the Lucerne University of
Applied Sciences and Arts.

The out-of-core photon map enables simulations with very large numbers of
photons on commodity hardware using on-demand loading and caching
techniques. This is particularly useful with annual simulations using
rcontrib, where the number of required photons scales linearly with the
number of timestamps.

Since we consider out-of-core storage an advanced option, it must be
explicitly enabled during compilation of the RADIANCE software; currently
the original in-core photon map is still the default. Details on building
the out-of-core photon map from source are documented in the RADIANCE
distribution under ray/doc/notes compile_switches. Irrespective of the
storage option used, mkpmap is now parallelised and accepts the '-n'
option.

The software is now available from the RADIANCE CVS repository and will be
included in the next official release. We provide this software to the
community as is, with the caveat that it is not actively supported; I can
volunteer limited support in my free time when possible, particularly in
response to reported bugs.

The out-of-core photon map is documented in a paper in the Journal of
Building Performance Simulation, and in an online technical report:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19401493.2016.1177116
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/303550129_The_RADIANCE_Out-of-Core_Photon_Map_Technical_Report

This work was supported by the Swiss National Science Foundation as part
of the project ‘Simulation-based assessment of daylight redirecting
components for energy savings in office buildings’ under grant SNSF
#147053.

Best regards and happy photon mapping,

  --Roland

--
Dr. Roland Schregle
Senior Research Associate

Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts
School of Engineering and Architecture
CC Envelopes and Solar Energy (EASE)
www.hslu.ch/ccease