[Radiance-general] Light Solutions.

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 19:34:29 PST 2016

Hi Bram,

People have done what you're asking using Radiance, but it is neither easy nor straightforward.  Radiance utilizes some curved primitives (spheres and cones mostly) that do not have a polygonal equivalent.  And while you can generate irradiance values at arbitrary points, which when multiplied by diffuse reflectance and divided by pi give you radiosity, you would have to specify where the points were.

If you start with a list of triangles, you can write a script or program to create a list of points where you want to compute radiosity, but then you need to re-associate the calculated values with the appropriate diffuse reflectances to get radiosity.  Generating textures with mappings to polygons is a lot more work, but there are ways to do that as well.  Unfortunately, none of it is done for you.

I have a vague memory of Richard Gillibrand working on this problem some 12 years ago or so, but I can't find where he wrote any of it up.  Others have worked on it as well, so maybe they can chime in.

Cheers,
-Greg