[Radiance-general] Calculating scheduled solar gains for EnergyPlus' surfaces

Germán Molina Larrain germolinal at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 16:35:54 PST 2016

Hi Andy,

thanks for such a very good answer. It is quite clear, or will be once it
sinks in.

I have one concern though. Let me elaborate.

My intention was to, actually, not use BSDFs at all. I would like to
account for the irradiance caused by the sky and sun, not using the 3-phase
method, but the 2 phase one. Accordingly, I send rays from the walls to the
binned sky, not to the window. In such case, I would say that your method
is impracticable since there is nowhere to send rays from, and with it it
is impossible to account for inter reflections on the (very weird) exterior
environment.

The idea of using black walls, floor and ceiling surfaces was not to
consider inter reflections in the interior space (I understand that energy
plus will account for that...?). Why do I need -ab 0? I actually want to
account for all the optical phenomena on the exterior.

Am I being clear? Am I totally wrong?

Kind regards!