[Radiance-general] Application of Radiance Perl scripts on Windows

Alireza Hashemloo alireh at uw.edu
Sat Feb 27 16:20:03 PST 2016

Hello,

I have a question/request with regards to the application of Radiance Perl
scripts on Windows:

I had previously managed to package all Perl scripts in the Radiance/bin
directory via the PAR package for Perl so that there would be an executable
version (.exe) per each .pl format. The reason for such transformation is
the significant impact that calling a ".exe" file has on the overall
workflow using Radiance on Windows in comparison with having to call the
Perl interpreter and passing the given script's path
(Radiance/bin/<filename>.pl) every time that a single Perl script has to be
used on the Windows command line (In particular, Git Bash). However,
recently, there has been changes and I have not managed to use the
open-source PAR package for Perl to package the Radiance perl scripts into
.exe format.

- I was wondering if it is possible to release a ".exe" file for each
Radiance Perl script (corresponding  with the release of each update to a
script)?

- Otherwise, I would appreciate if you could guide me on alternative
solutions to transform Perl scripts to .exe files on Windows.

(Other than the open-source PAR package, I have used a trial version of the
commercial Active State Perl Development Kit including PerlApp that allows
you to make executable file for perl scripts. However, once the trial
period is over, the generated .exe files by the application will no longer
work.)

Thank you very much,
Alireza