[Radiance-general] X11 support on OSX 10.11?! (?!(?!))

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Thu Dec 8 09:45:10 PST 2016

Hey there, Radiance people. I'm setting up my work computer again, having just re-imaged it to MacOSX 10.11 (yes, 10.12 is (has been) around; don't ask). Built Radiance from source, all is well. Rvu works fine with the Qt driver. Realized I hadn't installed x11 yet. Installed x11 (xquartz), but my installation is now defaulting to the Qt driver for rvu output. Problem is, even forcing it to use x11 is failing with the dreaded "rvu: fatal - cannot start device "x11"" error. Look:

$ rvu frozen_octree.oct
(this works, loading the Qt-based rvu)

$ rvu -o qt frozen_octree.oct
(this works, as above)

But...

$ rvu -o x11 frozen_octree.oct
rvu: x11: not found
rvu: fatal - cannot start device "x11"

The x11 device is in fact running and mapped to $DISPLAY. Look:

echo $DISPLAY
/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.2YPu12VOpL/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

So, WTF? Anyone?

- Rob